Disabled Veteran Exemption

A veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the Virginia National Guard who has a 100% service-connected, permanent, and total disability is eligible to have personal property taxes exempt on a motor vehicle.  A motor vehicle is defined in § 46.2-100 as a passenger car or a pickup or panel truck that is registered for personal use.  This exemption is the result of an amendment to the Code of Virginia in Article 5 of Chapter 36.  

In order to be eligible for the exemption, the veteran’s disability must be service-connected, permanent, and total disability. The percentage of a person's disability is determined by the Department of Veteran Services. Pittsylvania County cannot make that determination. 

Any such motor vehicle owned by a married person may qualify if either spouse is a veteran who is rated 100 percent disabled and the motor vehicle is used primarily by or for the veteran.  This exemption shall be applicable beginning on the date the motor vehicle is acquired or January 1, 2021, whichever is later.  The exemption shall expire on the date of the disabled veteran’s death and shall not be available for his surviving spouse.

  1. Vicky Wilson

    Deputy Commissioner
    Phone: 434-432-7940

  2. Physical Address
    11 N Main Street
    Chatham, VA 24531

    Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 272
    Chatham, VA 24531

    Phone: 434-432-7940
    Fax: 434-432-7957

How do I get the exemption?

For a disabled veteran in Pittsylvania County to get the property tax exemption, the veteran will need to provide a copy of his Summary of Benefits letter or certification of disability from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating the disability is 100 percent service-connected, and permanent and total disability to the Commissioner of the Revenue.   If the veteran is already in the tax relief program, it is not necessary to provide this documentation.  

Please contact Vicky Wilson with any questions that you may have and to learn more about how to apply for this exemption. 

Application for Veteran Personal Property Tax Relief