Social Services


For access to Social Services guidance and resources during COVID-19, please visit the Virginia Department of Social Services website

The department, in accordance with Federal law and U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, or political beliefs.


The Pittsylvania County Department of Social Services preserves families and protects children and vulnerable adults from abuse and neglect and the effects of poverty through collaborative engagement, prevention strategies, and the provision of human-based services that support recipients’ health, safety, and permanency.


Our service recipients are healthier, stronger, and thriving in independence, having successfully triumphed over poverty, abuse, and/or neglect because the Pittsylvania County Department of Social Services staff and partners ensure quality services that lead to positive outcomes.

  1. Social Services

    Physical Address
    Human Services Center
    220 H. G. McGhee Dr.
    Chatham, VA 24531

    Mailing Address
    P. O. Drawer E
    Chatham, VA 24531

    Phone: 434-432-7281
    Fax: 434-432-0923


ch_logo_horiz_red_rev copy


The 2020 Session of the General Assembly mandated the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) to work with the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) to establish a single toll-free telephone number for Virginia social benefits call centers.

Effective July 1, 2021, the new toll-free telephone number is 833-5CALLVA (833-522-5582).

The new telephone number will help route Virginians to the appropriate call center based on their questions or needs and will include options to reach the DSS Enterprise call center, Cover Virginia call center, and Medicaid Member Helpline. All current call center numbers will continue to be active.


We reopened on June 1st!

However, we encourage you to access us in the most convenient ways...

Our services may be accessed via phone, mail, Email, fax, and/or the Web. Twenty-four-hour document drop-off is available through use of our outside drop box, located to the left front of the Human Services Center main entrance, and during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00A-5:00P) in the main lobby, to the right of the DSS entrance doors.

Verifications, other forms, and requests for communication may be submitted by mail, Email, fax, or by means of one of the drop boxes mentioned above.

You may apply for Benefits via the Web, at, by phone at 1-855-635-4370, or for Medical Assistance only at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590).

You may call 1-866-281-2448 to request a replacement EBT card by mail from the EBT vendor.

You may contact your caseworker to request a card and issuance through one of our clerks.

You may contact your caseworker via phone or Email. Please call the department’s switchboard, 434-432-7281, if you do not know the identity of your caseworker and have a service need.

You may call the switchboard to report a child protective services or adult protective services concern, or to request an adult screening. Or, for adult or child protective services only, you may call the State Hotline via one of the numbers below:

1-800-552-7096 (Child Protective Services)

1-888-832-3858 (Adult Protective Services)

Programs (in alphabetical order):

Adoption Services

The purpose of adoption is to place children who have been permanently and legally separated from their birth parents with a new family. It is a social and legal process that gives new parent(s) the same rights and obligations as biological parents.

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) receives and investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults 60 years of age or older and incapacitated adults age 18 or older. If protective services are needed and accepted by the individual, local APS workers may arrange for a wide variety of health, housing, social, and legal services to stop the mistreatment or prevent further mistreatment. Services offered may include home-based care, transportation, adult day services, adult foster care, nutrition services, and legal intervention in order to protect the adult. Services may also be arranged for individuals in emergency situations who lack the capacity to consent to services.

1-888-832-3858 (Adult Protective Services)

Adult Services

The Adult Services Program assists adults with an impairment, who need services or support to enhance self-sufficiency and improve their quality of life. Services offered include:

  • Home-based services (chore and companion)
  • Long-Term Care Services and Support (LTSS) Screenings
  • Assisted Living Facility (ALF) assessments and reassessments
  • Review of annual guardian reports

Auxiliary Grants

An Auxiliary Grant is an income supplement for individuals who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and certain other aged, blind, or disabled individuals who reside in a licensed assisted living facility (ALF) or an approved adult foster care (AFC) home.

Child Care Services

High-quality early childhood care and education can have the greatest effect on the lives of children and their families. We provide eligibility determination as well as resources and information to make choosing safe, quality child care easier for parents.

Child Protective Services

The goal of Child Protective Services (CPS) is to identify, assess, and provide services to children and families in an effort to protect children, preserve families, whenever possible, and prevent further maltreatment. Child Protective Services is non-punitive in its approach and is directed toward enabling families to provide adequate care for their children.

1-800-552-7096 (Child Protective Services)

Emergency Services

As Dominion’s partner, and facilitated by the Self-Sufficiency division, this program is to aid in electric service payments on behalf of eligible citizens.

Energy Assistance

The purpose of this program is to aid eligible low-income households to offset expenses associated with heating and/or cooling their homes.

Foster Care

Foster care is intended to be a temporary rather than a long-term solution for children who have been removed from their birth family homes for reasons of neglect, abuse, abandonment, or other issues endangering their health and/or safety.


There are several Medical Assistance Programs offered in Virginia. Each program covers different groups of people, and each program has different eligibility requirements. When you apply for Medical Assistance, you are screened for all possible programs based on your age, income, financial resources, and other information. To be eligible for a Medical Assistance Program, you must meet the financial and non-financial eligibility conditions for that program.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, is a federal program that operates under the requirements of the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service to provide nutritional assistance benefits to eligible individuals and families. SNAP provides a monthly benefit to households through an Electronic Benefits Card (EBT) to supplement the purchase of nutritious foods. Eligibility for SNAP benefits is based on financial and non-financial criteria.


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education and Training (SNAPET)

SNAPET is a program to assist SNAP customers who voluntarily commit to seeking employment.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

TANF is a program that provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families with children. Eligible families receive a monthly cash payment intended to meet their basic needs.

Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW)

VIEW is a program that promotes economic independence by providing employment, education, and training opportunities, as well as needed supportive services, to recipients of TANF.

The following service is temporarily unavailable, replaced by face-to-face interaction the moment you enter our office... Because the department is a patron of Check In Systems, Inc., you may check in with us remotely, using My Mobile Check In, via the following applications:

Apple device? Click here.              Android device? Click here.