The Finance Department is composed of several key components of local government.The department's responsibilities include:
- Conducting accounts payable
- Developing grants
- Preparing payroll
- Preparing the annual fiscal budget for Pittsylvania County, which includes the Social Services Department as well as the School Board
The Finance Director works in conjunction with the county's elected Treasurer to ensure accuracy of all accounts.
- Maintains all payroll records including employee time sheets
- Assists with payroll related questions from County employees
- Prepares payroll checks/direct deposits semi-monthly on the 15th and last day of each month
- Files all monthly, quarterly and annual reports to federal and state agencies
- Maintains Virginia Retirement System files on all full-time employees including Social Services
Accounts Payable Responsibilities
The Accounts Payable function operates directly under the supervision of the Finance Director. All invoices for the county are sent to the Finance Department, where they are audited and entered in the system for payment. Checks are cut weekly and mailed to vendors.
Each vendor doing business with Pittsylvania County is required to complete a W-9 form to verify the legitimacy of the business by obtaining the proper information about the business, including address and Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN) number.
In addition to this primary duty, the accounts payable function is also responsible for mailing 1099s at year end as well as maintaining accounts payable files on laser fiche.